Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Protect your dream its like your heart

I walk the streets of Brooklyn NY on my way to work. The piercing cold wind cuts into my skin with every walking step. My face is becoming that much more numb. Winter is really not my season, I don’t hate it I just don’t enjoy it. Normally I would be listening to music but Apple makes sucky headphones for the first generation iphones, I’ve literally gone through 5 headphones which always manage to tear at the base where it plugs into the headphone slot. Argghhhh. If you know me personally, you’ll know how my life is a huge musical. At unspecified times I’ll start singing aloud, although I’m fully aware that my vocals are less serenading and more terror invoking. If you didn’t know me personally now you do. So this particular Tuesday morning a song by Mr. Kanye West titled “Welcome to the heartbreak” (Album: 808’s & Heartbreaks), pops in my head and simultaneously the lyrics start coming out of my mouth. I tell you I cant control it, I love music. After singing the first verse I had an epiphany… I want you to imagine your life…Everything you do or plan on doing is suppose to bring you one step closer to your dream. Isn’t it? Your life is supposed to be your dream manifest. Ideally that’s what we all desire. To you, your dream is such a beautiful one you’ve fallen in love with it. You’re having an intimate relationship with your dream; it consumes your thoughts, every waking moment. Its like things happen in your life that will interfere with or hault your dreams if you allow them to. Imagine you’re in a relationship with someone. You’re attracted to that person in every way and they stimulate you in every way. Your 100% committed to the person and 100% committed to making it work. The only way the relationship will fail are if the person says they no longer feel the same way you they once did about you or if the person drastically changes and is no longer the person you fell in love with. Imagine your dream is like that. It requires 100% commitment and dedication it’s attractive/appealing to you, of course it is it’s your dream. Even better it can never leave you like a person can. A relationship with a person can be thwarted and undermined but if you’re committed you don’t let that ruin what you have. The same goes for a dream, people may try to tell you otherwise but to make your dream come true you have to be determined to make it work. But like a relationship with a person that goes south and leaves you heartbroken, when things or people attempt to mess with or thwart your dreams, and you allow them, you’re left heartbroken.


Filled with sorrow and regret because that beautiful dream you had, that wonderful relationship you had with your dream for many years, is no more. The failed relationship disappoints you because it didn’t live up to the dream you thought it would, this disappointment of a failed dream is the feeling of a broken heart. Your dream becomes part of your sub-conscious and conscious identity, and when that’s shattered your world is shattered. I would argue this may be the fundamental cause of most Americans or even westerners un-satisfaction in life. “I’ve seen it; I’ve seen it before…” (Kanye West). So live your dream. Invite people to be a part of that dream, if they refuse or try to undermine your dream, put them in there place, or remove them from your life, because they’ll infect your dream with negativity and leave you Heartbroken.