Monday, March 30, 2009

I’m a fan of Kat St John

I was introduced to Kat St John through a mutual friend. I was drawn to her vocal talent and unique sound. Naturally good music moves me, I was curious to find out more about the woman behind the music. So here is an impromptu interview I had with her.

SB: When and where did you get involved with music?

Kat St John: I first involved myself with music at the age of 9 I probably was singing younger then that but this is the earliest age I can recall. I started singing in choirs, family functions, and school events.

SB: If you could work with any musician who would it be?

Kat St John: If I could work with any artist it would be Missy Elliott and T-Pain because they are so different, have unique styles and are in their own world when it comes to music.

SB: What is your ultimate goal in life?

Kat St John: My ultimate goal is to use my successes to minister to kids and families that have been in an abusive situation to get out of it mentally and physically. It would be pleasing if I became an American icon in the process.

SB: When did you realize you wanted to be a professional musician?

Kat St John: I knew I wanted to be a professional musician when I was a freshman in high school, however there were people in my life trying to shatter those dreams and at the time I believed it so I moved on to another dream for the time being.

SB: What inspires you?

Kat St John: My musical inspiration and influence comes from are all the Jackson’s, Mary J., Karen Clark, Anita Baker, the very first group of Destiny’s Child, and Faith Evans. I’m also inspired by my son to do better and by the fact that there are not too many people supporting me as far as my family goes, that makes me want to show them that dreams do come true and that all my hard work did not go in vein, and last but not least the love of entertaining and singing drives me and to know I can do this as a career and help other people out is what inspires me. What motivates me is the fact that these opportunities will open doors for other opportunities for myself and other families and friends in my family, what really motivates me is all the doubtful people I defiantly have something to prove too.

SB: How would you define your style?

Kat St John: My style is a crossover sound, Its a mixture of alot of familiar sounds but different just like me.

SB: Do you tweet?

Kat St John: Yes I tweet, you can tweet me @katstj

Check out her music